In the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, we wanted to review a few easy ways to protect yourself during this uncertain time. Read on for Zsweet's tips to support your Immune System, and improve overall health.
- Reduce or eliminate sugar and refined starches: We understand it can be tempting to make poor choices with our eating habits when under stress. However, studies have shown that refined sugars can suppress your immune system for hours after ingesting. Limiting starch and sugar will help your immune system function better and your overall health improve. We recommend using Zsweet to enjoy sweet comfort foods during this time, WITHOUT compromising your immune function. Browse our Instagram or website Recipe section for baking inspiration.
- Eat a nutrient-dense diet: Our immune system relies on nutrient-dense whole foods to function well. Incorporating garlic, onions, ginger, and lots of spices (oregano, turmeric, rosemary) is a fantastic REAL-FOOD way to fight infection and boost the immune system. Eat multiple servings of colorful fruits and vegetables high in vitamins C, A, and phytonutrients that support the immune system. Choose more leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower), peppers, sweet potatoes, and squashes. Lastly, eat fermented foods to support your microbiome and immunity such as sauerkraut, kimchi, unsweetened yogurt, kefir, etc.
- Ensure adequate protein intake: Protein is critical for immune function, however at this time grocery stores can be limited in what they are offering, especially in the way of quality grass-fed and pasture raised meat. This problem is causing many to order food online. Below are a few companies we trust that have great healthy options:
- Fluids: Consuming adequate fluids supports all your bodies’ functions including the immune system. Meal prep broths and soups to have throughout the week. Drink filtered water frequently throughout the day. And be sure to avoid concentrated fruit juices and sweetened beverages, like we mentioned above the sugar content is harmful for the immune system. We recommend having our Zsweet SuperSweet Packets on hand to add to unsweetened beverages if desired.
- Sleep: Without adequate sleep, optimal immune function is next to impossible. Aim for seven to eight hours a night of quality sleep. Try avoiding your phone, television or computer before bed.
- Exercise and Movement: Mild to moderate exercise has been shown to boost the immune system, making it a fantastic addition to a healthy routine. However, be sure to avoid overexertion because this can cause stress on the body and lower your immune defenses.